In 1950 the Lancia Aurelia was introduced to the public at the Turin Motorshow. Designed by Vittorio Jano, it bristled with innovation. Under the four door, pillar-less saloon body, the Aurelia sported an all-alloy V6 engine. The four-speed transaxle, complete with in-board brakes and column gear change, ensured good weight distribution, while the all independent suspension, via sliding pillars/coil springs at the front and semi-trailing arms at the rear, together with the then revolutionary 165x400 Michelin radial tyres, guaranteed fantastic roadholding and handling. A few years later the PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ 165x400 was offered for the Aurelia as a more sporting, progressive tyre, now made with a higher speed rating.
The first in the Aurelia series was the B10 berlina. Power came from a 1574 cc engine producing nearly 60 horsepower. The car was initially criticized for its (lack of) performance so Lancia answered the critics with the introduction of the B21 produced a year later. There was little to visibly distinguish the B10 from the B21, the 1574 cc engine was replaced with a 1991 cc engine producing 70 horsepower. To add sporty-appeal, a B20 GT Coupe was introduced in the same year. The two-door coupe was designed by Boano from Ghia. Gianpaolo Boano was the son of Ghia owner Mario Felice Boano. Production was handled by Pininfarina. It sat on a shortened chassis and used a tuned-version of the 1991 cc engine producing 75 horsepower. Production was low with only 500 examples produced. A second coupe series was created using a further tweaked version of the 1991 cc engine now producing 80 horsepower. Mechanical improvements included better brakes and lowered suspension, both resulting in better performance. Styling changes were mostly confined to the interior, the most noticeable being the instrument panel.
In 1953 Lancia introduced the B20 Coupe, the third in the series, powered by a 2451 cc engine producing nearly 120 horsepower. This marked the first time a left-hand-drive version of the Aurelia could be purchased. The independent rear suspension could not handle the extra power from the new engine so it was changed in favor of a de Dion system. 720 examples were created.
The B12 was one of the first drastic changes to the Aurelia, both mechanically and aesthetically, since its inception. The engine was a 2266 cc powerplant producing 87 horsepower. The rear suspension was changed in favor of a de Dion system. Wind deflectors were placed on the windows and the headlights were changed. During its production lifespan, around 2400 examples were produced.
Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider
In 1955 the audience at the Brussels Motor Show was introduced to the B24 Spider. Lancia had tasked Pininfarina to design and produce a limited number of vehicles using a shortened wheelbase from the B12. Power was supplied from a 2451 cc engine. A convertible was later introduced and quickly became the favorite, with 521 Convertibles and 240 Spiders produced.
The production of the berlina ceased in 1955. The Coupe and Convertible series continued until 1958. There were a total of six series for the coupe. The fifth series began to shy away from performance gains and focused more on luxury.
Lancia Aurelia Wheels
Ruote Borrani Milano are happy to announce the launch of the 'new' re-edition Bimetal wheels for the Lancia Aurelia.
Borrani Bimetal Wheel
Carlo Borrani was a pioneer in the field of alloy rims for wire wheels, and also used these rims for a light wheel with steel centre-piece, initially called "CABO", and later "Bimetal". Many of these wheels were sold in the 50s and 60s either as factory fitment, or as sports upgrades for brands like Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia and Maserati.
Following numerous requests from all over the world, Borrani recently decided to re-issue a limited edition Bimetal wheel for Lancia, identical to the original project (which was launched in July 1952 for the Aurelia models). Now suitable for all six B20 series and other Aurelia variations, the basic wheel measures 165 x 400, using an alloy rim with steel centre-piece. A Bimetal wheel for Flaminia models will follow in due time. Faithful to tradition, the new Bimetals weigh around 20% less than conventional steel wheels, thus importantly reducing the un-sprung weight, and improving the car's handling. As many are ordered for competition & rally use, the wheels are available with or without hubcap attachments at the client's choice.
The Flavia Lancia fitted a 155x15. Click here to see the options available for your Flavia Lancia. We would recommend the PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ or Michelin XAS for this car.
Lancia Flavia History
The classic Lancia Flavia was developed by Professor Fessia in the late 1950's, and introduced for sale in the UK in 1961. Initially available only as a four door classic, it featured a 1.5 L aluminium boxer engine, Dunlop disc brakes on all four wheels, front wheel drive and front suspension by unequal length wishbones. This model was soon joined by a two door coupé, designed by Pininfarina on a shortened platform. Vignale built a two door convertible, while Zagato designed an outlandish-looking light weight two door "sport" version. The sport version had twin carburetors for extra power , however this version of the engine was notoriously difficult to keep in tune.
Later development of the engine included an enlargement to 1.8 L, with mechanical injection version using the Kugelfischer system, and a five speed manual gearbox. Towards the end of the sixties, when Fiat took control of the company, the Vignale and Zagato versions were discontinued. The coupé and saloon versions received new bodywork, first presented in March 1969 at the classic Geneva motor show . The engine increased to 2.0 litre, available with carburetor or injection, and four or five speed gearbox. The 2.0 Litre models were only made with revised Pininfarina Coupe and revised Lancia saloon bodies.
Classic Lancia Fulvia Tyres
The Fulvia Lancia fitted a 155x14 or a 520x14 tyre. Click here to see the options available for your Fulvia Lancia.
Classic Lancia Stratos Tyres
Lancia Stratos using PIRELLI P-Zero Tyres
The Lancia Stratos originally fitted a 205/70x14 Michelin XWX tyre. Click here to see the options available for your Lancia Stratos stradale.
If your Lancia Stratos has got 15 inch wheels fitted the best tyre would be from the Michelin TB range (as fitted to the original works cars), 18/60x15 front and 23/62x15 or 26/61x15 and 29/61x15 rears. Click here to see the 15 inch Michelin TB tyre options available for your Lancia Stratos.
Some cars use the PIRELLI P Zero tyres in 225/50ZR15 at the front and 345/35ZR15 at the rear (see picture above).
Lancia Stratos History
The Betone designed Stratos was built for one purpose, to win the World Rally Championship. Two prototype versions of the Stratos were shown, one during the 1970 Turin Motor Show and another one year later. The road going versions of this car were built only to satisfy the homologation rules. As a result, the road version had a very noisy cockpit, was uncomfortable, and did not have good cabin air circulation(just as you would expect from a rally car). The front part of the car housed cooling fans and a spare tyre. So it was not very practical when it came to luggage.
In 1973, the Stratos won its first rally it participated in. In 1974 through 1976 it dominated the rally scene by capturing the World Championship each year.
Since Lancia was owned by Fiat, who also owned Ferrari, there was a wealth of resources to draw from. And such, a Ferrari Dino V6 quad cam engine was used and placed in the rear of the car. The engine was capable of producing almost 200 horsepower which could propel the car from zero to sixty mph in just 7 seconds. A five speed manual gear box and 9.9 inch vented disc brakes were also used.
The body was built by Bertone and light-weight fiberglass was used whenever possible. The rear spoiler provided down force and channeled air into the engine ducts it also channeled the dust on some safari stages which was not all that good and caused a few problems. If the vehicle rolled-over the spoiler was actually strong enough to take the impact of the tumble.
The Lancia Stratos was the first car to be designed specifically for international rallies, in which it enjoyed extraordinary success, and because 400 examples had to be built, it allowed some lucky people to buy a competition machine for the road . It was a revolutionary design of timeless beauty which was among the first of the modern "supercars." With a top speed (in production form) of 143 mph (o-60 mph in 6.8 seconds) allied to superb handling and brakes, there are still few cars which can match it in real motoring conditions: driving from A to B along twisting roads.
Lancia Stratos using Michelin TB15 Tyres
The Stratos first appeared in 1970 as a styling exercise by Bertone on Lancia Fulvia running gear and was taken up by Cesare Fiorio who then was Lancia's competition manager. Before long a prototype was built using a Lancia engine, but the car's potential was so great the a 2.4 liter Ferrari Dino unit was substituted and a legend was born. When it was run by the works in international rallies, the Stratos became possibly the first car in history which was expected to win. It was that good, and it took the World Championships in 1975 and 1976. Fiat, the parent company, then changed its competition policy and decided to win rallies with a different car, but that did not stop the Stratos. As late as 1979 a privately entered Stratos won the Monte Carlo Rally which is one of the most remarkable feats in modern competition history.