Rover P5 Tyres
Michelin XAS Rover P5 Tyres deal
We have no doubt that fitting the Michelin 180HR15 XAS asymmetric tyres will make your Rover P5 handle and look better than any other road tyres. As a result we have calculated an all in special deal. This deal includes reduced price on the tyres, free inner tubes and free carriage to most of Europe, and subsidised shipping charges to the rest of the world.
Recommended Rover P5 tyresRover P5 tyres for a standard car as recommended by Longstone Tyres.
History of the Rover P5
The Rover P5 (commonly called 3-Litre and 3½ Litre after the engine displacement) was a large saloon (or coupe) produced from 1958 until 1973. It was a much larger car than the P4 which in some respects it replaced.
Sometimes called "the poor man's Rolls-Royce", the P5 was extremely popular with United Kingdom Prime Ministers and government officials of its day. Queen Elizabeth II is said to have favoured driving her P5.
The Rover P5 first appeared in September 1958, badged as the "3-litre". It was powered by a 2,995cc straight 6 engine which used an overhead intake valve and side exhaust valve, an unusual arrangement inherited from the Rover P4 which gave a claimed 115 bhp. An automatic transmission, overdrive on the manual, and Burman power steering were optional with overdrive becoming standard from May 1960.
Stopping power came originally from a Girling brake system that employed 11-inch drums all round, but this was a heavy car and by the time of the London Motor Show in October 1959 Girling front-wheel power discs brakes had appeared on the front wheels. The suspension was independent at the front using wishbones and torsion bars and at the rear had a live axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs.
By 1962, when production of the original Mark I series ended, 20,963 had been produced. An automatic version tested by The Motor magazine in 1960 had a top speed of 95 mph and could accelerate from 0?60 miles per hour in 17.1 seconds. Fuel consumption of 20.5 mpg was recorded. The test car cost £1864 including taxes.
The Mark II version of the P5 was introduced in 1962. It featured more power (129 bhp), from the same 3.0l engine and improved suspension. The most notable addition to the range was the option of the Coupé body style launched in autumn 1962. Unlike most coupés, which tend to be two-door versions of four-door saloons, this retained the four doors and was of the same width and length as the saloon, but featured a roofline lowered by two and a half inches along with thinner b-pillars, giving it the look of a hardtop. Hydrosteer was standard on the Coupe and optional on the Saloon. Production of the Mark II ended in 1965, by which time 5,482 coupés and 15,676 saloons had been produced.
The Mark III was presented at the London Motor Show in October 1965, described at the time as "even more luxuriously trimmed and furnished". It was again available in two 4-door body styles, coupé and saloon. The Mark III used the same engine as its predecessor, but it now produced 134 horsepower. Externally it could be distinguished by the full-length trim strip along the body and Mark III badging. Internally the rear bench seat was replaced with two individually moulded rear seats, making it more comfortable to ride in for four occupants but less so for five. A total of 3919 saloons and 2501 coupés had been sold by the time production ended in 1967.
The final iteration of the P5 appeared in September 1967. Now powered by the 3.5l Rover V8 engine also used in the 3500, the car was badged as the "3.5 Litre", and commonly known as the 3½ Litre. The final letter in the "P5B" model name came from Buick, the engine's originator. Rover did not have the budget or time to develop such engines, hence they chose to redevelop the lightweight aluminium concept Buick could not make successful. They made it considerably stronger, which added some weight but still maintained the engine's light and compact features. The Borg Warner Type-35 automatic transmission, hydrosteer variable ratio power steering and front Lucas fog lights were now standard.
160bhp was claimed along with improved torque. When compared to its predecessor, the aluminium engine enabled the car to offer improved performance and fuel economy resulting both from the greater power and the lesser weight of the power unit. The exterior was mostly unchanged, apart from bold '3.5 Litre' badging, a pair of fog lights which were added below the head lights, creating a striking 4 light array, and the fitting of chrome Rostyle wheels with black painted inserts. The P5B existed as both the 4-door coupe and saloon body style until end of production. Production ended in 1973, by when 9099 coupés and 11,501 saloons had been built.