From 1936 the Austin 7 came equipped with a
A lot of these Austin 7 Ruby's have been fitted in the past with a 450x17 tyre as the 400/425x17 was unavailable for quite a while. This is incorrect and can lead to fouling of the wheelarches as these pictures show.
Very early Austin 7's were fitted with
26x3 tyres. These cars can usually be distinguished by their smaller 6" wheel centres and scuttle mounted headlights
History of the Austin 7
The Austin 7 was produced from 1922 through to 1939 in by the Austin Motor Company. Nicknamed the "Baby Austin", it was one of the most popular cars ever produced there, its effect on the British market was very similar to that of the Ford Model T in the USA.
It was also made under license by companies all over the world. The first BMW models, the BMW Dixi, were licensed Austin 7's. In France they were made and sold as Rosengarts. In Japan Nissan also used the 7 design as the basis for their original cars, though not under licence!
After World War II, many Austin 7's were rebuilt as "specials", including the first Lotus, the Lotus Mk1.
Austin had, before World War I, built mainly large cars but in 1909 they sold a 1 cylinder 7hp built by Swift of Coventry called the Austin 7. After this they returned to bigger cars, but the seeds of an idea had been born. Sir Herbert Austin felt a smaller car would be more popular, in spite of protestations from the company's board of directors who were concerned about the financial status of the company. Austin won them over by threatening to take the idea to their competitor Wolseley, and got permission to start on his design, in which he was assisted by a young draughtsman called Stanley Edge who worked from 1921 into 1922 at Austin's home, Lickey Grange. Austin put a large amount of his own money into the design and patented many of its innovations in his own name. In return for the investment he was paid a royalty of two guineas on every car sold.
Nearly 2,500 cars were made in the first year of production (1923), not as many as hoped, but within a few years the "big car in miniature" had wiped out the cyclecar industry and transformed the fortunes of the Austin Motor Co. By 1939 when production finally ended, 290,000 cars and vans had been made.
The Austin 7 was considerably smaller than the Ford Model T. The wheelbase was only 6 ft 3 inches, and the track only 40 inches. Also it was lighter - less than half the Ford's weight at 794 pounds. The engine required for adequate performance was therefore equally reduced and the 747 cc sidevalve was quite capable with a modest 10 hp output.
The chassis took the form of an "A" with the engine mounted between the channel sections at the narrow front end. The rear suspension was by quarter elliptic springs cantilevered from the rear of the chassis while at the front the beam axle had a centrally mounted half elliptic transverse spring. Early cars did not have any shock absorbers. Brakes were on all wheels but at first the front brakes were operated by the handbrake and the rear by the footbrake, becoming fully coupled in 1930.
A multitude of different body styles were available, the box saloon, nippy, Ulster, Gordon England, Chummy, the list goes on. One of the most attractive bodies fitted to an Austin 7 chassis was the Swallow.
In 1927, William Lyons, co-founder of the Swallow Sidecar Company, saw the commercial potential of producing a rebodied Austin 7. Lyons commissioned the talented coachbuilder Cyril Holland to produce a distinctive open tourer: the Austin 7 Swallow.
With its bright two-tone colour schemes and a style befitting more expensive cars of the time, together with its low cost (£175), the Swallow proved popular and was followed in 1928 by a saloon version: the Austin 7 Swallow Saloon.
Approximately 3,500 bodies of various styles were produced up until 1932, when Lyons started making complete cars under the SS brand.
Such was the demand for the Austin 7 Swallows that Lyons was forced to move in 1928 from Blackpool to new premises in Coventry. It was, in part, the success of the Swallows that laid the foundations of what was to become, by 1945, Jaguar Cars.
Classic Austin 10 Tyres
Recommended Austin 10 tyres
Austin 10 tyres for a standard car as recommended by Longstone Tyres.
The Austin 10 was a small car made by the Austin Motor Company. It was launched in 1932 and was Austin's best selling car in the 1930s and continued in production, with upgrades, until 1947. It fitted in between the Austin 7 which had been introduced in 1922 and the Austin 12 hp which had been updated in 1931.
The design of the car was conservative with a pressed steel body built on a cross braced chassis. The chassis was bought in and was designed to give a low overall height to the car by dipping down by 2.75 inches between the axles. The 1125-cc four-cylinder side-valve engine producing 21 bhp drove the rear wheels through a four-speed gearbox and open drive shaft to a live rear axle. Suspension was by half-elliptic springs all round and the brakes were cable operated. The electrical system was 6 volt. For the first year only, a four-door saloon was made in two versions. The basic model cost £155 and was capable of reaching 55 mph, it was rapidly followed by the Sunshine or De-Luxe with opening roof and leather upholstery at £168.